"laestadian, apostolic, gay, lgbtq, ex-oalc, ex-llc, llc, oalc, bunner" LEARNING TO LIVE FREE: Where Do Finns Come From?

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Where Do Finns Come From?

My cousin sent me this fascinating tip regarding Finnish origins. Now I'm eager to get my DNA tested, just to find out what it can tell me. Have you done that or pondered it?


Here's an excerpt. Read more by clicking on the title.

WHERE DO FINNS COME FROM?

Not long ago, cytogenetic experts stirred up a controversy with their "ground-breaking" findings on the origins of the Finnish and Sami peoples. Cytogenetics is by no means a new tool in bioanthropological research, however. As early as the 1960s and '70s, Finnish researchers made the significant discovery that one quarter of the Finns' genetic stock is Siberian, and three quarters is European in origin. The Samis, however, are of different genetic stock: a mixture of distinctly western, but also eastern elements. If we examine the genetic links between the peoples of Europe, the Samis form a separate group unto themselves, and other Uralic peoples, too have a distinctive genetic profile.

3 comments:

  1. My apologies for neglecting this blog lately. Life got in the way, and then I had some illiterate, profane comments defending the OALC by an anonymous person who said I was his/her aunt, so I deleted them and put on comment moderation for a while.

    (I certainly hope that was no relative of mine. How embarrassing!)

    So things are up and running again, and while "recent comments" is still misbehaving, the rest of the blog should work. Chat away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you have youd DNA tested? Is there a place where you can send your DNA and they tell you where your DNA comes from? That would be interesting to know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are several places. Some of the Geneology sites have added DNA testing to their services. You can get both paternal and maternal testing, with a separate fee for each. Prices have come down significantly in the last year or so. I saw in a recent article that Ancestry.com is now providing this service (I think that's the one).
    SISU

    ReplyDelete