"laestadian, apostolic, gay, lgbtq, ex-oalc, ex-llc, llc, oalc, bunner" LEARNING TO LIVE FREE: Sami Hymn Singing

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Sami Hymn Singing

Someone sent me a link to this video, along with the following caption. The video won't embed, but here's the link. Enjoy!

http://www1.nrk.no/nett-tv/klipp/484409

These are a couple of Sami ladies from Kautokeino, Norway, singing a hymn I think we all recognize. However, I don't remember the name of this in English. They are singing in the Sami language. Apparently both women are well-known joikers in their community. Joiking and singing are very different and joikers often sing deeper in the throat. This way of singing influences Laestadians today. I can hear they sing much Laestadians from congregations that continue to sing their hymns a cappella in the USA, typically IALC and OALC. These women are part of the Lyngen branch of Laestadians known only in Norway. However, the Lyngen branch have many different splits, often along ethnic lines: Sami, Kven (Finnish-speaking) and Norwegian-speaking (though these congregants are a ethnic mix of Kven, Sami, and Norwegians).

2 comments:

  1. This video explains a lot. I have often wondered about the sort of 'drag' between notes..(can't think of another way to say it). It comes from the joik!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. This is exactly how the OALC sings their songs!
    In recent years I have read about the joik, but still not think it would be this close. I always feel a tug to my childhood when I hear the singing. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete