According to a member of an online support group, new rules regarding "Christian" weddings were recently shared, including:
- No engagement rings.
- The engaged couple must wait until married to sit together in church.
- Wedding rings must be simple bands.
- No wedding dresses (preferably a skirt that can be worn again).
- The skirt should not be so long that it touches the floor.
- The bridal party will not walk up or down aisle.
- The bride and groom will walk down the aisle only after they are married.
- No food at wedding receptions.
This illustrates a practical function of the Elders' meetings: to reinforce visual markers of faithfulness (faithfulness to the preachers, not the gospel) so members appear separate from "the world." (An equally important function is to retain members through intermarriage. Out-marrying is taboo, so these large gatherings are opportunities to meet non-relatives. Youth are encouraged to travel out of state to attend).